YOUNG WRITERS CONTEST To recognize and encourage noteworthy writing in our community, the FRIENDS of the Pine Plains Library is sponsoring a writing contest for public, private, and homeschooled students residing in the Pine Plains Central School District. The contest is open to students in grades 6-8 and 9-12. First prize is $100, second prize is $50, and third prize is $25. Students may download the official rules and entry form at this site or go to the Pine Plains Free Library, Stanford Free Library, or the Stissing Mountain Middle/High School Library. Official Rules and Entry Form are also available at the Pine Plains Free Library link for FRIENDS.
FAMOUS AMERICAN WOMEN IN HISTORY Sunday, March 3, 2013, 2-3 PM, Pine Plains Free Library. Snow date March 10, 2013. FRIENDS of the Pine Plains Library will honor world-famous American Jane Addams as part of Famous American Women in History Month. A prominent reformer of the Progressive Era, Jane Addams focused attention in the United States on the needs of children, public health, and world peace. A public philosopher, sociologist, author, and leader in woman suffrage, she was the first American woman to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1931. Come to the library to hear author Sandra Opdycke talk about Jane Addams and her Vision for America. Ms. Opdycke is Associate Director of the Institute for Innovation in Social Policy at Vassar College. She taught American History and Urban History at Bard, Vassar and Marist Colleges.
- May 5. Fundraising Victorian Tea @ Mashomack Preserve. 2-4:30 PM.
- May 25 and 27. Memorial Weekend Book Sale
- Awards for Young Writers Contest
JUNE, JULY, AUGUST
- Free. Community Concert Series. “Music at the Lake.” Stissing Lake, Pine Plains, NY.
- June 9 Shorty King’s Clubhouse. Swing/Jump, Big Band, Blues, House Rockin’ party music.
- July 14 Big Joe Fitz and the LoFis. Their sound features a sophisticated blend of jazz and blues which is always soulful and always swinging.
- August 4 The Greyhounds are a 5 piece Roots Rock N’ Roll band based out of Poughkeepsie blending rockability and rhythm and blues with the twang of classic country and the drive of 60s beat and surf instrumentals.
- August 25, The Kennedys. Pete and Maura are an American folk-rock band. Pete plays the acoustic guitar, electric sitar, bass and ukulele, while Maura plays acoustic and electric guitars and the uke. They have performed in clubs and theatres throughout the U.S., a cruise, and at Bill Clinton’s first and second inaugurations.
- October 6, Margaret Roach, renowned author, gardener, and blogger.
- November 3, Nava Atlas, author and illustrator of many vegetarian and vegan cookbooks.